How do I set initial nitrogen?
Initial nitrogen is set in the user interface for the total (or individually for NO3/NH4) amount of nitrogen for 0-24 inches and the date for initial nitrogen.
- Default is 42 pounds of total nitrogen on October 1 preceding the year when the crop will be grown.
- Default represents the average of data collected from soil samples taken in enrolled fields for the 2014 and 2015 growing seasons and is a good starting point.
- Adjust up or down from this based on local and field needs.
When the total nitrogen is entered, it is split into the following fractions:
- NO3 0-6" = 43% of total
- NH4 0-6" = 19% of total
- NO3 = 28% of total
- NH4 = 10% of total
Note: These percentages were determined based on about 24,000 samples taken by certified services agents in the 2015-2016 season.
Results can be entered from soil nitrogen tests taken in the crop zone. If only a 0-6” sample is available, the user might want to increase the total nitrogen amount (or individual component values) by about 35-40% to place the appropriate amount of nitrogen in the top 6” after the above split out occurs in the system
IMPORTANT: The assumption is that the initial nitrogen values account for all nitrogen present in or applied to the soil before the initial nitrogen date. Any nitrogen applications previous to or on the initial nitrogen date will be ignored.
- Navigate to Operation
- Select 'Nitrogen 2.0'
- Once on the Nitrogen Grid locate the column Initial N and the field you wish to change.
- After selecting Initial N a menu will appear on the right-hand side of the screen.
- Default date will be set to '10/1/CROP YEAR, change the date if you had a specific sampling date.
- Total Nitrogen is the field you'll input the total available initial nitrogen.
- Ammonium is the field you'll input NH4 value
- Nitrate is the field you'll input NO3 value.